March 1, 2018

PRESENT: Jerry Weller, Diana Hopkins-Rosseel, Skot Caldwell, Linda Johnson, Linda Williams, Elaine Brown, Andy Rush
REGRETS: Pam Bandy-Dafoe
RECORDER: Marilyn Haskell-Armstrong
LOCATION: 39 Markland Street, Kingston, Ontario
AGENDA ITEM:
1. Meeting called to order (Skot): 7: 07
2. Minutes approval: February 8, 2018 minutes: Approved by Linda J.; Seconded: Diana H.R.
3. Additions to agenda: none
4. Membership:
a) Recent Processes (Elaine and all)
a.i) A gap in the soprano section numbers was identified and had been discussed at the last board meeting. Individuals were approached and invited to join the choir to fill this gap. This was implemented without the knowledge of the board membership person and the use of the recognized protocols. The Board apologizes to Elaine Brown and will ensure due process is used in the future
ACTION: Diana and Skot will discuss current new members with Elaine.
ACTION: recognizing there is no waitlist kept, when there is a need for member recruitment outside of the annual intake process, first call will go out to those turned down in the most recent lottery.
b) Departing members (Linda J): card given to Gord M. to circulate among basses for Steve C.
b.i) It was decided that “Thank You” cards should be sent to OV members leaving the choir in recognition of their participation.
c) Creation of Membership Committee (Elaine):
c.i) Elaine discussed the heavy workload of the membership position. The group discussed the formation of a Membership Committee to lessen the workload of one individual.
Elaine has written out her role description: (see addendum).
Diana suggested at least 3 non- board members be on this committee to insure continuity and historic memory on committee.
Linda W. recognized the role included both data and people management and asked if the portfolio could be divided between two board members.
Andy suggested that Elaine try to split the current duties into 3 which she has agreed to do. Andy feels that one member of the committee should be a Board member. He also noted that confidentiality needed to be considered when forming the committee with non-board members.
ACTION: Skot will promote to the choir, the opportunity to join the Membership Committee emphasizing the skills needed and asking for two volunteers.
d) Summer intake process(Andy):
a.i) There was a large intake last summer and we may not need one this year. He suggested we may go back to list of those not drawn last year
a.ii) Andy feels this process falls on the shoulders of two people in the middle of the summer…lots of work. It was suggested that it be done earlier and involve others (perhaps from the Board?)
a.iii) Andy feels 100 on stage is tops/membership at 115. Diana discussed a smaller number on stage (90-95) to give members a better experience on stage.
ACTION: Discussion of Intake process and membership numbers to be added to the April agenda.
5. Concert Committee:
a) Feedback forms: discussion deferred
b) June Concert Details (Andy, Skot) on Committee
(b.i) Grants: 2 grant applications have been completed: Community Foundation of Kingston (April 22 announcement) for $3000 and Blue Skies in the Community for $1000 (should hear fairly quickly) Andy and Naomi wrote the Community Foundation proposal and Linda W. did the Blue Skies proposal.
(b.ii) Process: if grants are not successful the importance of selling tickets for the evening show is even more crucial.
c) Tuskegee (Andy, Jerry): Workshop is sold out/ticket sales have been good. Andy praised the use of social media for promotion and is pleased with the number of O.V. members volunteering to help.
O.V. has covered the cost of handbills and posters.
d) Social Media Presence (Jerry):
(d.i) A report re: promotion of the Tuskegee concert was circulated electronically to board members prior to meeting. It reflected the numerous social media sites Jerry used to promote this concert. He suggested similar promotion will be used for the June Concert at the Grand. This is taking considerable time and effort and it was suggested that an expanded PR committee or group would be helpful. He will ask for choir members for expressions of interest with writing and design skills and the ability to speaking to media outlets. It was noted that many of these skills can be learned.
(d.ii) Jerry is currently working on the poster for the June concert. Draft coming soon.
(d.iii) Jerry asked the board for support to research further development of O.V.’s social media presence. The board ‘s support was given.
(d.iv) Skot suggested the use of the Limestone School Board twitter account for promotion to student families for the evening concert.
ACTION: Jerry will contact the Limestone School Board’s rep.: Jane Douglas
ACTION: Jerry will circulate rough design of poster to Board members for comment.
ACTION: Jerry will ask for help in promoting the June concert
6. Music Committee
a) Impromptu Gigs – status? No one has come to Linda J with expressions of interest/ she will talk to Diane Dowling about possible prison farm option. Andy suggested approaching Gord, re: his interest in performing at a hockey game.
ACTION: ask Linda J. if there has been any interest expressed by members since her announcement about this at rehearsal. (see above)
b) Music Committee meeting next week March 7/2018
7. Governance
a) Slide show about board roles (Linda W.): Linda circulated a draft slide to the Board asking for their feedback. She proposes that one slide be shown every week on the big screen at rehearsal to build awareness. They must be clear and welcoming to members.
b) AGM: (Andy, Diana)
(a.i) Consumer and Corp Affairs need notification annually, post-elections of newly constituted Board; i.e. names of continuing and new Directors
(a.ii) Discussion about moving date of AGM
Good to have constituted board across the summer so
Good time to take stalk of the year when it is fresh
Great to start singing in the fall, rather than with an AGM
Board orientation less stressed, Board ready to be active at start of year rather than lag time
Improve reflective and celebratory aspects
(a.iii) Yes, can do
(a.iv) Must then …
Iterate rationale
Get Board approval
Put it to the membership to determine if it is supported
Ensure have an auditor who can do the audit in a shorter timeframe
Ensure time for notification of members as per the Constitution (60 days)
(a.v) Cons:
Timing – to have time for financial
Quorum?
Asking in the spring for commitment in fall now (good?); asking in winter for something that feels imminent
(a.vi) Diana suggested we, as a Board, support a move to a June AGM in principle tonight
(a.vii) Then the fiscal year may need to change to Jan-Dec but then not reporting on the singing year financially
(a.viii) Suggested that there be a call a ‘Special General Meeting’ to elect a Board but a usual AGM for the remaining components (e.g. reports, audited statements, budget)
Hold by end of May; seem to have consensus of this Board tonight for this approach
Then we have a crossover period time available for old and new Board to pass the torch, do training and orientation
Can be efficient, effective and celebratory
Current Board would have to agree and consent to a shorter term on the Board as well as to remaining as trainers/mentors for the incoming Board.
ACTION: Diana will put together notice of a special general meeting to be called by June 1 to elect 2018/2019 Board
(c) Discussion of possible appropriate topics (as necessary; may have been covered): deferred to next meeting
(d) Board Term Limits (Linda W.)
a.i) Do we want to set term limits?
Linda stated that: The problem to be solved is how to build engagement with the Board to reduce the difficulty in recruiting new Board members.
Why this suggestion? This reinforces the concept of volunteerism, on which OV has been built, by reminding members of the expectation that Board positions are not “owned” by individuals but shared among the members. O.V. must provide opportunities to serve, or a cycle of “it’s not my job…. so-and-so will do it” is perpetuated.

Proposal: Write a new Bylaw that sets a limit (ideally 2 and at most 3 consecutive terms) on the number of consecutive 2-year terms a Board member can serve on the Board. Note: after a minimum of 1 term off the Board, former Board members would be eligible to stand again for election.
Linda W offered the following pro’s and con’s to setting term limits:
Pro fixed term limits
New Board members bring new ideas and skills. Board stays fresh and energized
On-going renewal creates opportunity for new Board members to learn the workings of choir, which hopefully leads to increased investment in OV
Retired Board members become very well-informed choir members, who often continue to make significant contributions
Serving on the Board creates an opportunity for OV to help choir members develop new skills
The current Bylaw involves an alternating rotation of 3 or 4 Board members every 2 years. The original intention was to have frequent renewal of the members, not one of extended service (beyond the initial 5 years when the choir was being created)
A maximum number of years on the Board protects the choir in the unfortunate circumstance of a Board member not meeting the expectations and responsibilities of their role
Con fixed limits
Long-serving Board members have time to acquire very good skill and knowledge of their role or portfolio, which can be time-consuming to transfer to a new Board member.
There may be a gap in the operation of the Board or choir as new Board members develop their role
There is a risk that no one will stand for election to the vacancies on the Board
We debated:
Do we want to set limits on the number of consecutive terms to be served?
Group discussion included:
There is flexibility for members to stay on board if needed
Difficulty recruiting new members. It might be that prospective board members are concerned about the possibility of making an unwanted long-term commitment
Board members should have flexibility to move positions within board or stay in position
We’ve been very fortunate to have had strong Boards and imagine that will continue in the future, but some Board members have had experiences on other Boards where a weak Board member was a problem
Building committee membership was suggested as a as way to introduce board membership
Annual monitoring of Board members to insure continued desire to remain in position or if unable to leave due to “no one else to fill the position”
Andy asks for more input from choir members through a town hall meeting.

Conclusion: There was only minimal support for setting term limits, and no consensus on this was reached.
(ii) if so, how long?
This was not fully debated, as no consensus was reached on whether to introduce term limits or not
Approval of a new Bylaw would need to be presented to and voted on by members at a Special Meeting or the Annual General Meeting.
ACTION: Andy feels such a significant change should be discussed at a Town Hall type meeting
8) Chair fundraiser: (Diana)
(a.i) Diana reported Costco has a stock of folding chairs with trolley. She asked permission to purchase.
(a.ii) Board agreed to allow Diana to purchase chairs using existing funds raised.
9) Artistic Director:
June 2019 concert: conversation with Brian Tate as director guest Martha Hill Duncan discussion as guests
10) Treasurer: deferred
a) Treasurer’s Report (Pam)
b) Discussion about concert revenue/membership cost
11) Proposed Town Hall
a) Discussion of possible appropriate topics (as necessary; may have been covered) deferred
Andy feels there could be a casual one to allow choir members to discuss any choir issues
ACTION: Andy will write a proposal to the board about a casual town hall meeting and suggest some topics to cover
12) Other: board agreed to refund a withdrawn member’s fees
ACTION: board will review membership policy including refunds.
13) Meeting Adjourned: 9:40 p.m.

NEXT MEETING DATE: Mar 29, 2018
Chair: Linda Williams
Location: 46 Colborne Street (near Clergy)
Time: 6:30 for Beverage/Tea visit, 7:00 start

ADDENDUM:

4. c) Membership Committee (Elaine)

Role of the OV Membership Representative

As a member of the OV Board attends meetings throughout the choral year reporting on membership status and participates in Board discussions and decisions. Updates the Membership Policy for Board approval as necessary.

The choral year starts in September at the time of the AGM and continues until the next AGM. Position on Board held two years.

The following statuses are used to filter records in all the queries/reports for the current choral year and are reflected on the Registration form:
Active: member is singing in the current year (F/S), in the Fall (F) or in the Spring (S) term and has paid their dues according to the 3 conditions.
Active On Leave: member has requested a one-year leave of absence and paid the $40.00 dues.
Withdrawn: a choir member has resigned throughout the choral year or has not submitted a registration form with dues.
Deceased: a choir member who has passed away either currently or in the past if known.

The duties are generally conducted in three areas:

1. Database Administrator
. using acquired information from membership forms, emails and other sources, updates and maintains a database of active, inactive and withdrawn members
. sends and prints various active membership reports to the Board, Section Leaders, Library, Concert & Music Committees, AGM voting lists and others at intervals during each term – Fall, Spring.
. creates attendance sheets for each section from the active membership listing for the Fall and Spring.
. creates email listing and sends emails as requested by bcc to members and former members.

2. Registration of Membership
. creates and updates database for the upcoming year.
. revises Registration form with current information and receives approval from the Board and Artistic Director
. prints out and distributes registration forms to members via Section Leaders or mails them to members on leave
. receives membership forms and dues from members by hand or by mail
. updates members information & notes no responses
. logs cheques and gives to the Treasurer
. follows up with current members not returning forms to determine status
. sends and prints re-registrations reports for Board and Artistic Director

3. New Member Intake and Orientation
. updates Expression of Interest form, requests updates on website and other media
. answers queries and sends EOI forms
. receives forms and compiles list to track status
. participates in campaign/ drive for new members, media updates, orientation, lottery
. registers new member information and sends reports to various recipients.

Role of the OV Membership Representative
As a member of the OV Board attends meetings throughout the choral year reporting on membership status and participates in Board discussions and decisions. Updates the Membership Policy for Board approval as necessary.

The choral year starts in September at the time of the AGM and continues until the next AGM. Position on Board held two years.

The following statuses are used to filter records in all the queries/reports for the current choral year and are reflected on the Registration form:
Active: member is singing in the current year (F/S), in the Fall (F) or in the Spring (S) term and has paid their dues according to the 3 conditions.
Active On Leave: member has requested a one-year leave of absence and paid the $40.00 dues.
Withdrawn: a choir member has resigned throughout the choral year or has not submitted a registration form with dues.
Deceased: a choir member who has passed away either currently or in the past if known.

The duties are generally conducted in three areas:

1. Database Administrator
. using acquired information from membership forms, emails and other sources, updates and maintains a database of active, inactive and withdrawn members
. sends and prints various active membership reports to the Board, Section Leaders, Library, Concert & Music Committees, AGM voting lists and others at intervals during each term – Fall, Spring.
. creates attendance sheets for each section from the active membership listing for the Fall and Spring.
. creates email listing and sends emails as requested by bcc to members and former members.

2. Registration of Membership
. creates and updates database for the upcoming year.
. revises Registration form with current information and receives approval from the Board and Artistic Director
. prints out and distributes registration forms to members via Section Leaders or mails them to members on leave
. receives membership forms and dues from members by hand or by mail
. updates members information & notes no responses
. logs cheques and gives to the Treasurer
. follows up with current members not returning forms to determine status
. sends and prints re-registrations reports for Board and Artistic Director

3. New Member Intake and Orientation
. updates Expression of Interest form, requests updates on website and other media
. answers queries and sends EOI forms
. receives forms and compiles list to track status
. participates in campaign/ drive for new members, media updates, orientation, lottery
. registers new member information and sends reports to various recipients.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email