March 23, 2017

Present: Linda Williams (chair), Diana Hopkins-Rosseel (President), Elaine Brown (Secretary), Ruth Hayward (Treasurer), Colleen LaHaise, Wendy Stewart
Regrets: Jerry Weller
Musical Leadership: Janice Dendy, John Rosseel (regrets)
Minute Taker: Marilyn Haskell-Armstrong
Meeting location: Linda William’s, 46 Colborne St.

1. Opening and Additions to Agenda

New Business: f: request from choir member

2. Approval of Minutes from Feb. 9, 2017

Approved with no changes

3. Business Arising

From Feb. 9, 2017: March concert items moved to New Business:
a. June concert items moved to New Business:

b. Ontario Trillium Foundation requirements for rural concert:
– concert venue: Burt’s Greenhouses
– date: Saturday, May 13, 2017
ACTION: 1. Wendy will present concert plan to choir and determine interest/availability of choir members; Event Organizer to be appointed; Use of risers and/or sound system and Trillium Banner required.

c. Choir Feedback: on line form as suggested by Vern S. is only helpful in the collating yes/no or numbers on a rating scale. Our most valuable feedback consists of comments so we will not move to a new format.
ACTION: i). Linda will create a “notes” page to include in binders. Choir members can record their on-going thoughts throughout the session.
ii). Linda will post final feedback form on the website for downloading if members wish

4. New Business:

March Concert Debrief:
– Janice reported no issues raised by members who were unable to attend dress rehearsal
– Diana’s staging rehearsal was effective and very well done!
– the tenors were reported to have been tense about the concert. They felt they were not quite prepared.
– Concert Feedback: comments received include: good mix of band and choir: choir was central to the performance; good musical selection; good clarity of sound, band not overwhelming to choir; Ron did a great job as MC; concert may have lacked some of the energy and fun of previous performances.
– Staging, Lights, Set-up, etc: podium lighting supplied by Ian was appreciated.
– The board will look into purchasing some for the choir
ACTION: Ian’s lights are missing after the concert. Diana will poll those choir members who may have seen them at takedown.

– venue lighting discussed. Diana shared information about programmable lights for rental consideration. The church may be considering buying this system.

– Bruce’s organization of take down and set up teams was great. The use of graphics was positive. The board discussed the need to ensure that there are volunteers trained in stage set- up.
– Front of House worked well
– Attendance approximately 260 with 297 tickets sold
– Thank you’s.
ACTION: Linda will write thank you notes to the following: Bruce Downey, Frank Cabral, Norma McNaughton, Ron Heidebrecht, Susan Hara, Graham Stratford, Diana Hopkins-Rosseel, the Library Committee, Morag Coyne
ACTION: Elaine will arrange with Dianne Dowling for the board to provide pizza & refreshments as a thank you for their hard work all year.

Stats: concert stats have not been kept in a while.
ACTION: Linda has volunteered to collect them from now on.

Spring Term with Tim Stiff:
– Leslie Saunders has drafted a duty roster for sound set-up team. Team members include: Sean, Leslie, Dave H. Some issues have been identified about location of sound equipment.
ACTION: Diana will discuss creating a designated spot for sound equipment storage with Leslie.

E-mail choir announcements: some issues were identified with duplication or redundancy of messages sent by e-mail.
ACTION: All announcements are to be sent to Elaine by Sunday at 5 p.m. Elaine will edit any redundant information and distribute to choir members by 8:00 p.m.. Elaine will distribute any information from Tim Stiff as soon as it is received.

Binder use in concert: board discussed this issue and chose to gather information through a survey of choir members.
ACTION: Linda and Diana will draft a question to add to choir Feedback survey concerning choir member’s use of binders in concert.

Clarification of Choir Liaison Roles: Linda reported some members’ interest in having the roles of Janice and John Rosseel for this year, clarified. They have been named co-coordinators for this year providing musical leadership to the choir and support to the guest conductors. An honorarium is being given to both for their time and responsibilities.
The following is an outline of their duties:
Janice: organize pre-meetings with all conductors; assist in music selection; meet with conductors prior to all rehearsals; follow up with conductor after each rehearsal; prepare and send out emails to choir members prior to rehearsal; attend Board meetings and Music Committee meetings
John: attend pre-meetings with all conductors; prepare themes for year; research music archives for repertoire ideas; order new music; pick up music in Perth as needed; compile You Tube and website links for members; attend Music Committee meetings; consult with Janice and conductor weekly via e-mail and face to face.

Board Recruitment: new members are needed to replace three positions on the board of directors. Jerry’s term will be over and he has expressed interest in filling the 4th vacancy.
ACTION: Board members will speak to 3 identified members to ask if they are interested in joining the board.
ACTION: An announcement will be made at rehearsal asking for expressions of interest from members. Members will be encouraged to review duties of board members as found in their binders. Issue discussed: length of term for Board of Directors position.No consensus was reached re: maximum term for Board Members.

Request from choir member: Linda J. requested that Open Voices sing at her funeral, and she suggested possibly Hold On to What is Good and one more song.
ACTION: The Board gave heart-felt and unanimous support for this sad request. Details will be negotiated when needed.

Reports:
Treasurer: Ruth Hayward: Reported proceeds from concert were $4443.00 in ticket sales (297). Expenses were $1707.00.

Choir Liaison: Janice Dendy: Reported that the new small mic is appreciated and working well. -Noted that the hall piano may require tuning. She will discuss with Kim.
-Craig Jones may not be available for June concert. If not then will suggest alternate bass player.
– Tim Stiff is feeling positive after his first rehearsal with the choir.

Membership: Elaine Brown
-Choir membership totals 113 with 9 members currently on leave for 102 active members

Music Leadership: Diana Hopkins-Rosseel
– meeting Wed. March 29,2017 after rehearsal.

Library: Elaine Brown
– no issues with committee. She reported that John Rosseel has done an excellent job accessing music as needed.

Concert Planning: Colleen LaHaise, Linda Williams, Jerry Weller (absent)
– promotion with seniors centres and advertising were discussed to enhance advanced ticket sales. Urgency to start poster development was identified.
ACTION: Ruth will speak with Jerry about recruiting poster volunteer. It will be suggested this be done through choir e-mails rather than announcement at choir.

Venue was discussed including hours needed, sound system, tech support, riser requirements , etc.
ACTION: Linda and Colleen will meet with Salvation Army re: venue and rental particulars.

Contra agreements with other choirs for inserts in concert program. Deferred to next meeting.

Next meeting: April 13, 2017 @ 7 p.m. at Wendy’s 1137 Front Road.

ACTION: Wendy will present concert plan to choir and determine interest/availability of choir members; Event Organizer to be appointed; Use of risers and/or sound system and Trillium Banner required.
ACTION: i). Linda will create a “notes” page to include in binders. Choir members can record their on-going thoughts throughout the session. ii). Linda will post final feedback form on the website for downloading if members wish.
ACTION: Ian’s lights are missing after the concert. Diana will poll those choir members who may have seen them at takedown.
ACTION: Linda will write thank you notes to the following: Bruce Downey, Frank Cabral, Norma McNaughton, Ron Heidebrecht, Susan Hara, Graham Stratford, Diana Hopkins-Rosseel, the Library Committee, Morag Coyne.
ACTION: Elaine will arrange with Dianne Dowling for the board to provide pizza & refreshments as a thank you for their hard work all year.
ACTION: Linda has volunteered to collect concert stats from now on.
ACTION: Diana will discuss creating a designated spot for sound equipment storage with Leslie.
ACTION: Elaine will edit and distribute all announcements as soon as available and any information from Tim Stiff as soon as it is received.
ACTION: Linda and Diana will draft a question to add to choir Feedback survey concerning choir member’s use of binders in concert.
ACTION: Board members will speak to 3 identified members to ask if they are interested in joining the board.
ACTION: Diana will make an announcement at practice asking for expressions of interest from members.
ACTION: The Board gave heart-felt and unanimous support for a members request. Details will be negotiated when needed.
ACTION: Ruth will speak with Jerry about recruiting poster volunteer. It will be suggested this be done through choir e-mails rather than announcement at choir.
ACTION: Linda and Colleen will meet with Salvation Army re: venue and rental particulars.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email